If you use a Windows desktop or laptop computer, you’ll use the File Explorer to format your SD card.
Please note that all the contents of your SD card will be deleted during the format process. If you want to keep any content, please transfer it from the card and save it to your computer before proceeding.
1. Insert your SD card directly into your computer’s SD card reader or via an external USB reader or adaptor.
2. Once you’ve inserted the SD card, open the File Explorer (in other words, open any folder). In the column on the left-hand side, click on either “This PC” or “My Computer” — these serve the same function, but appear under different names in different versions of Windows.
3. Click on the SD card in the device list. Depending on your PC it may appear as ‘SD CARD (F:)’ or ‘SDHC (E:)’ – the letter in brackets will vary depending on the drive used by your PC.
4. At the top of the File Explorer window, click the tab labelled “Manage,” then click “Format.”
5. A pop-up window will appear. Please press ‘Start’ to proceed.
6. One or two more pop-up windows will appear. Click “OK” in each of these to proceed.
7. Once the process is done, you can remove the SD card and it will be ready to use again.